The dispute involving Hamza El Moussaoui has escalated into a major legal confrontation, with Al-Hilal Omdurman issuing a final deadline to Confederation of African Football before taking the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
At the centre of the controversy is the eligibility of the RS Berkane captain during their CAF Champions League quarter-final clashes in March.
Al-Hilal allege that El Moussaoui tested positive for a banned substance; Prednisone/Prednisolone on January 24. According to the Sudanese side, CAF imposed a 30-day suspension on March 11, just two days before the first leg between the two teams.
However, in circumstances the club has described as unclear, the suspension was reportedly lifted on matchday, allowing the defender to feature in both legs of the tie. His involvement proved influential, including winning a penalty that affected the outcome.
Frustrated by what they describe as a lack of transparency, Al-Hilal have intensified their response. In an official statement, the club confirmed it had contacted CAF’s Disciplinary Committee, senior officials, and the Sudan Football Association, outlining its intention to pursue legal action.
The club’s legal representative revealed that an earlier 48-hour deadline for CAF to respond expired without any reply, despite multiple attempts to engage the governing body.
According to Al-Hilal, four formal communications were sent:
- A complaint on March 23
- A request to be recognised as an interested party
- A reminder on March 29
- A final request on March 30
The club says none of these received a response, a silence that has now become a central issue in the dispute.
Final warning issued
Al-Hilal have now issued what they describe as a final deadline. Although their initial ultimatum expired on April 1, the club has extended the window until the end of April 3 for CAF to provide clarification.
If no response is received, the case will be formally referred to CAS, supported by a legal file said to contain more than 13 documents.
In addition, the Sudanese club is demanding immediate precautionary measures, including:
- The suspension of RS Berkane from CAF and FIFA competitions
- A freeze on the club’s participation in ongoing tournaments until a ruling is made
Al-Hilal argue that El Moussaoui’s participation directly influenced the tie, raising serious concerns about the integrity of the competition.
Their stance is clear: if a player deemed ineligible played a decisive role, the sporting outcome should be subject to review.
CAF yet to respond
So far, CAF has not publicly addressed the allegations or explained the circumstances surrounding the lifting of the player’s suspension.
That lack of communication has only intensified the controversy, placing further pressure on the governing body as the deadline approaches.