Al-Ittihad Club’s 3-2 defeat to Al-Shabab FC has intensified scrutiny surrounding the recent departure of N’Golo Kante, with claims emerging that head coach Sergio Conceição did not approve the midfielder’s exit.
The postponed Saudi league fixture from round 28 ended in another setback for Al-Ittihad on Sunday, but attention quickly shifted away from the result itself and toward growing questions over the club’s transfer decisions.
Saudi journalists Abdullah Falatah and Waleed Al-Faraj discussed behind-the-scenes details surrounding Kante’s move to Fenerbahçe SK, suggesting the transfer process was marked by confusion and administrative problems.
According to the reports, Al-Ittihad agreed to sell the remaining period of Kante’s contract after the French midfielder pushed strongly for a transfer away from the Saudi club.
The deal reportedly came close to collapsing because of procedural mistakes linked to the player registration system before eventually being completed.
Speaking after Al-Ittihad’s latest defeat, Falatah criticised both the team’s performances and the club’s handling of football operations.
“Losing is possible, but the modest and dilapidated level that Al-Ittihad has shown is very difficult to accept,” Falatah said during televised comments.
“The Portuguese Sergio Conceição should not continue, and the team needs a better coach and sporting director.”
Falatah then turned attention to the circumstances surrounding Kante’s departure and claimed the Portuguese coach had been misled during negotiations.
“To be honest, everyone knows that Conceição was deceived in the Kante departure case, because he did not agree to the player leaving,” he added.
According to Falatah, the club’s management convinced Conceição to approve the move after presenting a plan to sign Portuguese midfielder Gustavo Sa as a replacement.
However, the proposed transfer reportedly failed to materialise.
“He added: “The management offered the coach the opportunity to sign the Portuguese player Gustavo Sa as a replacement, and he agreed to sign the release of Kante, but they failed to bring in a replacement, and this is a major administrative flaw.”
The comments have added further pressure on Al-Ittihad’s leadership following a difficult period for the club both on and off the pitch.
Television presenter Waleed Al-Faraj also addressed the issue, describing Kante’s exit as an unusual situation shaped by sensitive circumstances.
“Kante’s departure was an exceptional case, and there are certain circumstances surrounding this deal that cannot be discussed now, but when the administration leaves things to the last moments, it is natural for such crises to occur,” Al-Faraj said.
The controversy surrounding the former Chelsea FC midfielder’s exit has raised broader concerns among supporters regarding planning and decision-making within the club.
Al-Ittihad’s defeat to Al-Shabab has only intensified criticism, with questions now being asked about the club’s recruitment strategy, administrative organisation and the future of Conceição himself.
While no official response has yet been issued regarding the claims made by Falatah and Al-Faraj, the discussion has further highlighted the uncertainty currently surrounding one of Saudi Arabia’s biggest clubs.
For Al-Ittihad, the combination of disappointing performances and transfer controversy has created growing pressure ahead of the next stage of the season.